Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania (DEAP)
The West Virginia University (WVU) School of Dentistry and Slippery Rock University (SRU) of Pennsylvania have partnered for a Dental Early Admission Program (DEAP). This collaborative program provides rising sophomores at Slippery Rock University potential early admission into WVU's School of Dentistry Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) program.
SRU/WVU DEAP Admission Requirements
- Biology: A minimum of eleven semester credit hours including two credits of laboratory work. These eleven credits may consist of eight credits of general biology or zoology, or a combination of biology, zoology and botany, and three credits of Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy or Human Anatomy.
- Inorganic Chemistry: A minimum of eight semester credit hours, including two credits of laboratory work
- Organic Chemistry: A minimum of eight semester credit hours, including two credits of laboratory work
- Biochemistry: Three semester credit hours of Biochemistry
- Mathematics: Four semester credit hours of calculus and three credits of statistics
- Physics: A minimum of eight semester credit hours, including two credits of laboratory work
- English: A minimum of six semester credit hours of composition and literature.
- Behavioral Sciences: A minimum of six semester credit hours of courses in the behavioral sciences; i.e., psychology, sociology, anthropology, medical ethics or philosophy.
Students admitted to SRU/WVU DEAP must:
- Have completed at least 30 semester credit hours but no more than 75 credit hours, with a minimum of a 3.60 GPA, to include at least two (2) of the required Biology, Chemistry, Physics , and Math core courses each semester. Core courses are listed under “Undergraduate Curriculum.”
- Complete the Physics core courses by the completion of their sophomore year.
Prior to admission to SRU/WVU DEAP, students must have at least 10 hours of documented observation in at least one general dental practice.
Upon acceptance to SRU/WVU DEAP, students sign a commitment statement affirming their intention to satisfy program requirements and participate in SRU/WVU DEAP activities.
SRU/WVU DEAP participants typically are expected to complete their undergraduate degree at SRU within 4 years.
Dental School Application
In the summer following their junior year at SRU, DEAP students are required to apply to the WVU D.D.S. program via the Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS). When prompted, complete the WVU School of Dentistry Supplemental Application for Admission in the fall semester of their senior year. The latter application fee is waived. An interview with the Dental Admissions Committee is required to verify that the candidate has fulfilled all D.D.S. program admissions requirements. DEAP applicants are informed about their dental school application status via letter from the Associate Dean for Dental Admissions, Recruitment and Access on or after December 1.